Hello, friends! I’m happy to be back with a new journal post after not having one to put up for August. I’ve also been dealing with an illness for the past month+ so my apologies for the lack of posts around here!
My green beauty journal posts are month-end compilations of favorites, empties, newly acquired items, (and the occasional update) from the past month. I’m excited to share my thoughts on a handful of goods that I won in a giveaway, a luscious new tinted lip balm from one of my fave brands, a new shampoo I’ve been testing, and the littlest pile of empty products you’ve ever seen!
I was the lucky winner of a giveaway collaboration between Niche Naturals and Close to Simple on Instagram and received a lovely variety of things. Not pictured is the fragrance-free Schmidt’s deodorant stick that was included, because the lid cracked and the deodorant wouldn’t twist up from the tube. No bueno so I chucked it, which does suck because I would have loved to try it out but perhaps I’ll buy my own tube in the colder months when it can’t melt the stick. Anyway, I’ve had some time to play around with these goodies and want to share my thoughts on them.
- Northlore Yarrow + Lavender Cleansing Grains – I’ve been enjoying this cleansing powder mixed with my newly favorite Blissoma Fresh Mild Rice Cleanser. When mixing this colloidal oatmeal and kaolin clay-based powder with my creamy rice cleanser, it forms a paste that gently exfoliates due to the poppy seeds that are also in it. It leaves my skin feeling incredibly soft and the light polishing action feels great in the mornings. I’ve never tried any sort of cleansing grains/cleansing powder before, but this one is certainly lovely.
- Captain Blankenship Dry Shampoo – FYI, this is my first experience with a natural dry shampoo! This dry shampoo is made with arrowroot powder, kaolin clay, rice powder, baking soda, and essential oils of rose geranium and palmarosa. I haven’t figured out the logistics that well yet and the best way to apply it. The tube is a shaker style and unfortunately the holes in it are large, so I keep the opening very small to dispense product. With that said, it works well in absorbing oil and it doesn’t leave a white cast in the hair. Lastly, it smells great which I wasn’t expecting from a powder! Side note: I noticed that Sephora now sells Captain Blankenship which is pretty cool.
- Province Apothecary Calm Down Therapeutic Roll-On – ‘Tis another calming aromatherapy roll-on to add to my collection! In a blue glass rollerball, much less. I now have 3 lavender based roll-ons meant for calming and relaxation and each one is tweaked in their own way. The Province Apothecary roll-on differs from the others in my collection in terms of scent – it has the slightest kick of freshness and citrus to it. It also has bergamot, frankincense, chamomile, neroli and cedar wood, but I mostly detect the lavender and perhaps a little bit of chamomile. Absolutely love its fresh scent and Province Apothecary’s packaging is top notch quality.
- Fat and the Moon Lip & Cheek Stain – There is only a small handful of products on this Earth that I just flat out do not like and this lip + cheek stain is one of them. The first thing I noticed was the scent – it contains rose geranium but it smells totally BAD and off, like old spit or dog drool. Because of the scent alone I would never use this, but on top of that it’s completely sheer and has zero color. When I work my finger into the pot I can see the teensiest amount of color pay off but once I started to blend it in it turns into…nothing. Completely clear like lip balm. Maybe I got an old pot (hence the putrid scent) but it’s not worth buying another to find out.
H IS FOR LOVE ROOT & BERRY LIP GLACÉ
A big favorite of mine this past month has been the newly released H IS FOR LOVE Lip Glacé – an uber nourishing lip-gloss-in-a-pot that imparts the most natural, healthy, sheer flush of rosey color to the lips. It’s the perfect lippie for looking put together, effortlessly. In the pot it appears matte (when not melting in the sunshine as I have done above!) but when applied to the lips it transforms into a beautiful gloss. Its tint is entirely derived from roots, berries, and seabuckthorn CO2 and is free of mica and iron oxides which is one of my favorite things about this gloss! And, it’s subtly scented with peppermint and vanilla, so delicious. It’s basically lip food. FYI, my lips are pale and I could see it being pretty sheer for more pigmented lips, but it would still make for a lovely clear gloss and moisturizing lip treatment. LOVE Lip Glacé.
BOYD’S FARM BAR SOAPS
Two other favorites for September include the handmade Boyd’s Farm bar soaps in Grapefruit & Sea Salt and Lavender & Geranium. I love a good bar soap and these by Boyd’s are superb quality ones if you’re sick of the standard soap selection that your local stores offer. You can’t really escape the rubbery feeling that bar soaps leave on the skin, but in comparison to other ones I’ve tried these do leave less residue on the skin. These generate the best lather of any bar soap I’ve tried and they thoroughly cleanse without drying the skin. I loooove sea salt in bar soaps so naturally I favor the Grapefruit & Sea Salt bar more, but the Lavender & Geranium bar is more fragrant. The only downside is that these soaps will cost you $12 each (plus shipping). They lasted me a decent amount of time, but I think I will stick to buying these once in awhile as a treat. For the bar soap lushes and lovers I highly recommend to check out the Boyd’s line.
I failed to order a new bottle of my favorite Andalou Naturals Brilliant Shine Shampoo before running out of the previous one which left me in an emergency and having to buy what Target/Kroger/local health food store offers for natural hair care. I decided to try the Acure Organics Clarifying Shampoo knowing that many people don’t recommend their moisturizing duo. I’ve used it a handful of times and the jury is still out on this one. I’m not happy with how my second day hair looks when using this shampoo. The roots aren’t particularly oily, but they look incredibly weighed down and flat. I’ve never seen my hair look this flat, even when it is oily. I’m leaning towards that it’s too drying for my scalp (although my hair itself does not feel dry) but I will continue using it for now. If it doesn’t work out, I’m going back to ol’ faithful Andalou Naturals!
Last but not least, a few products I have used up…
- Kahina Giving Beauty Facial Cleanser – One of my favorite morning cleansers! This cream cleanser is gentle and perfect for a morning cleanse as it helps to replace overnight moisture loss. It’ll cost you $56, but you do get a whopping 200ml’s worth of cleanser which lasted me ~8 months with daily use. I’ve since discovered another amazing cleanser that I like for mornings which I plan on reviewing soon, but I would be happy to come back to this cleanser as well. LOVE this cleanser, highly recommend it. Full reviews here and here.
- Root 100% Lash Natural Mascara – Such great performance for a natural mascara. It provides great volume and length and doesn’t clump, flake, or smudge as long as the eye area is set well with powder. I also recommend to curl lashes before applying, because I’ve had some low pointing eyelashes that caused it to smudge after repeated rubbing on the skin. Full review here. If you’ve never ordered from Root before, you can use my referral link to save 10% on your first order! Shop here.
- Davids Premium Natural Toothpaste* – I just reviewed this toothpaste last week (review here) and have since used up my first tube, with another on the way. I wanted to include that this past week I’ve noticed my teeth are looking whiter! I’ve also started oil pulling but I believe the teeth whitening is more attributed to the Davids toothpaste. Super happy with my results and highly recommend this awesome, high quality, natural toothpaste.
- Jord Organic LYS Yoga Spray in #3 – LYS is formally a yoga spray but it’s also a great room and body spray. The scent is difficult to describe but it’s so interesting – it’s a little velvety but it has this cool cinnamon scent to it. It’s not heavy at all and it really freshens up the air! I wish the bottle were bigger because I used it up in no time, but I will be picking up another in my next Jord order.
That does it for September! For October I have a couple reviews of natural perfume lines planned and hope to review the Blissoma Skincare goodies I hauled over on Insta awhile back. Happy Fall, everyone!