The latest toothpaste I’ve been putting to the test is the Davids Premium Natural Toothpaste*, made from high quality natural ingredients that are primarily of USA origin. The Davids brand takes on a holistic approach – while providing safe and effective oral care products, they are also committed to sustainability and supporting American jobs, hence their motto Nature+America+You. Read more on the Davids brand story here.
- Calcium Carbonate – Natural material mined from the earth. Used as a mild abrasive to help prevent plaque buildup, remove surface stains, and whiten & polish teeth.
- Purified Water – Used to blend ingredients and give texture.
- Sorbitol – Natural sweetener made from corn that keeps toothpaste moist and not dry out during its shelf life.
- Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)– Natural material mined from the earth. Used to neutralize the plaque forming acids in your mouth. Helps prevent plaque buildup, remove surface stains, and whiten & polish teeth.
- Vegetable Glycerin – Davids uses only food grade domestic non-gmo vegetable glycerin derived from vegetable oils ( not to be confused with industrial glycerin or other glycerin products produced from animal fats). Used to moisten the mouth and enhance the natural mint oil flavor. Also used as a natural preservative to keep the paste moist and to keep the ingredients from separating.
- Hydrated Silica – Natural material from the earth that is used to help remove surface stains and whiten & polish teeth. Others use low quality imported silica with large abrasive particles that can scratch or damage the enamel….Davids uses only the highest quality USA made silica with ultra fine microscopic particles designed to safely clean and polish the enamel on your teeth.
- Xylitol (birch derived) – a five-carbon sugar used as a sweetener, but more importantly, has the effect of reducing plaque formation and inhibits enamel demineralization. We use only a premium USA produced xylitol derived from birch trees, which is considered the best for both you and the environment. Research studies show that xylitol works to reduce the formation of cavities.
- Sodium Cocyl Glutamate – Natural alternative to SLS which is derived from coconut oil and sulfate free. Used to create a mild foaming action which suspends the other ingredients in your mouth while brushing, helping the cleaning and whitening process.
- Carrageenan– Derived from seaweed. Used to give toothpaste its gel consistency. (NOT to be confused with poligeenan – formerly referred to as degraded carrageenan which causes much confusion). Learn More
- Mint Oil – Derived from natural mint leaves. Used to give the toothpaste a natural mint flavor to freshen your breath. We developed a custom blend of ultra premium, USA produced, mint oils from various mint growing regions around the US to create a one of a kind mint flavor that is amazing!
- Stevia (Leaf Extract) – Derived from the stevia plant. Used as a natural sweetener and to further enhance the natural mint oil flavoring.
[ingredient info as per their product page, I love that Davids expounds on each ingredient’s purpose!]
DAVIDS toothpaste is:
Sulfate-Free (no sls)
Cruelty-Free; LEAPING BUNNY CERTIFIED
FLAVORED WITH 100% USA FARMED NATURAL MINT
Free of artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, and preservatives
HOUSED IN RECYCLABLE METAL PACKAGING
environmentally and economically Sustainable; Ingredients are 98% USA origin, 2% Japan. Made in USA
Davids toothpaste is light, creamy, and non-foaming so if you’re like me and you love to brush with a big glob of toothpaste, it doesn’t get messy! It leaves my teeth feeling exceptionally clean and bright without being abrasive and harsh on the teeth and gums. Its minty flavor is very light (which is my preference when it comes to toothpaste) and it leaves my breath so fresh and clean. The difference in its premium quality compared to other natural toothpastes is definitely noticeable and it’s reassuring to know that I’m simply giving my teeth the best in oral care. I adore its unique mint green metal packaging and I love that it comes with a handy tool that ensures you can scrape every bit of toothpaste out of the tube, which you can slide onto the end of the tube for storing. I’m currently using the Umbra Grassy Organizer as my toothpaste/toothbrush/floss holder and the Davids scraper tool fits perfectly onto a grass piece. As a sidenote, I’d love for Davids to offer their own toothbrush to go along with the toothpaste! I think it would be interesting to see what natural and sustainable materials they use, along with a design that pairs with their brand look.
It’s funny to say about a toothpaste, but Davids has instilled this interest and excitement in toothpaste for me in the same way that I feel about skincare. High quality, awesome performance, gorgeous packaging, and not to mention the brands holisitic approach in creating a sustainable product as well. I highly recommend to try this toothpaste and lend your support to an amazing green brand!